Monday 18 July 2011

App review - Songify (iOS)

The joy of the AppStore model of e-commerce that Apple has pioneered on their iOS devices is that discovering and trying apps that you didn't even know you wanted is so easy. Songify is just such an app. I had no idea I needed something that allowed me to create cheesy songs from brief audio samples but now I have it I can't imagine life without it.

Like many iOS apps, Songify does one thing simply and well. Launch the app and tap the screen once to start recording (I've found short samples work best) and then again to stop. The app then works it's magic and spits out a song, complete with vocal effects and a backing track.
Songify is free and comes with a couple of backing tracks but many many more are available for purchase within the app and I suspect the developer will keep adding more.  


Once you've recorded your song it's easy to share via email or post to your Facebook or Twitter account.


Now of course I wouldn't be posting this here if it didn't have some element of kid-friendliness and it does, in spades. Songify might not have been designed for kids but of my son is anything to go by they love it! The simplicity of the interface and entertainment value of the results means both of us (and my wife!) keep coming back for more.

But don't take my word for it, here are some tracks my son laid down. Enjoy! :)
Spoony (Woony)
Bungle!


Songify (iOS, currently £free)
Dad rating: 5/5
Kid rating: 5/5
iTunes Link

No comments:

Post a Comment